The FleishmanHillard HighRoad (FHR) Diversity Fellowship Program is designed to cultivate a diverse work environment through the establishment of diversity fellowships, that will facilitate the recruitment, development and retention of diverse talent at FHR. Fellows can expect to obtain wide-ranging and valuable experience in multiple areas of communications - from media relations to public affairs to digital strategy. Not only will fellows be given the unique opportunity to contribute their insight and perspective on topics of diversity and inclusion to FHR, but also allows for diverse voices to develop their talents and become well-rounded communications professionals.
• The fellowship program is a role geared towards diverse candidates who are underrepresented in our industry – Indigenous people, racialized people, people living with disabilities, and recent immigrants
• This role is a 12-month contract
• Fellows will rotate among our practice groups to gain a breadth of experience. In smaller offices where an opportunity to change practice groups is not possible, fellows will rotate among different account teams or will transition through a variety of challenging projects/assignments
• In addition to hands-on communications experience, the fellowship offers experiential learning, professional development and mentoring
o Experiential Learning – Daily activities and responsibilities will contribute to the growth and development of the fellow
o Professional Development– Fellows are offered the opportunity to participate in all corporate webinars and office training session
o Mentoring – From day one, fellows are paired with a senior level mentor in their office who will facilitate their professional growth and learning
• To qualify for the fellowship, candidates must be recent college or university graduates, graduate students with a career interest in communications, and/or young professionals with equivalent experience
• Candidates must demonstrate proven writing skills, initiative, creative problem-solving skills, proficiency in social media communications, and a track record of academic achievement or community involvement
• Ability to speak and write in French or other languages is considered an asset
• Candidates must be able to work a minimum of 30 hours per week
Roles & Responsibilities
The Fellow will be responsible for the following:
• Take part in client projects and deliverables
• Write, edit and proofread materials in CP style including press releases, pitch letters, fact sheets, blog posts, website content and client correspondence with supervisor guidance
• Aid teams in pitching story ideas to relevant media and participate in brainstorm sessions
• Participate in the new business process, including research and proposal preparation
• Monitor, research, compile and analyze client media coverage in both online and offline mediums
• Take part in client related meetings and/or conference calls
• Present an idea or a project outcome
• Share their experience by speaking as an alumni at their university or community groups and contributing to FHR’s thought leadership blog
• Participate in the DE&I working group to help improve and develop more inclusive initiatives
Each Fellow will be assigned a day-to-day supervisor. The Supervisor will be responsible for the following:
• Facilitate goal setting
• Monitor work assignments
• Provide ongoing feedback
• Complete six-month and one-year performance review
Each Fellow will be assigned a senior level mentor. The mentor will be responsible for the following:
• Schedule regular meetings with assigned fellow
• Help fellow successfully navigate the office and the agency
• Facilitate introductions and networking opportunities
• Provide professional guidance and development, as well as opportunities and resources
**Please note that this role will be filled remotely - Candidates may be based anywhere within Canada.
To apply for this opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Please note that only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
FleishmanHillard HighRoad is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We support persons with disabilities with accommodation during our recruitment and selection process. Individual accommodation will be provided to candidates who are selected for assessment.