FleishmanHillard HighRoad (FHR) is a leading, full-service communications agency. We are a dedicated and entrepreneurial team, with a passion for building powerful connections between ideas, people and actions.
Specializing in Public Affairs, Government Relations, Corporate Reputation, Brand Marketing, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Communications, and Social and Digital Innovation, we are widely known for creating compelling and award-wining campaigns for our clients, time and time again.
About the role:
FHR’s Ottawa location has an opening for a Vice President to join our Public Affairs team. This is an exciting career opportunity for a seasoned Public and Government Affairs professional who holds an expert understanding of public policy and the federal government. As a trusted advisor, you will develop and execute a federal public affairs strategy, collaborate with teams in Ottawa and across the country, providing senior counsel on public affairs, crisis situations, corporate positioning, high-level media relations, executive communications, and issues management.
Having an in-depth understanding of government and politics, together with an established network of senior political and government relationships would be viewed as evidence of the ability to lead our federal public affairs practice and serve the needs of our public affairs client mandates. Ideally, you are based in Ottawa and are bilingual in English and French.
• Provide senior level counsel to clients, including top level executives, on a wide range of public affairs needs, including direct advocacy, stakeholder engagement, strategy development, issues and reputation management, traditional media and social media
• Develop and implement comprehensive public affairs programs and tactics that integrate earned media, grassroots advocacy, third party stakeholders, advertising and digital recommendations
• Lead the development and implementation of integrated public affairs programs for clients
• Build strong relationships with clients and serve as the day-to-day client contact and account team manager on multiple client accounts
• Develop, analyze, interpret and provide strategic advice on significant developments and/or trends in public policy and legislation that affect clients
• Develop and prepare client messaging, executive positioning, presentations to government and other communications materials that resonate with government audiences
• Develop and drive thought leadership platforms on relevant policy issues
• Staff projects effectively and manage client expectations
• Identify, respond to and lead new business initiatives
• Manage billing and client reporting
• Coach and mentor team members by effectively delegating work and providing frequent and constructive feedback
• A seasoned professional with 12 years of experience in a public affairs role, with a deep background developing and executing public affairs and corporate reputation programs, including advocacy, corporate positioning, media relations and executive communications
• Experience working in government and politics is preferred
• Experience building relationships and working effectively with diverse stakeholders
• Superior writing skills, with the ability to develop and edit high-quality materials such as briefing notes, position papers, fact sheets, overviews of government initiatives and presentations to government
• Ability to work in a dynamic environment, meet deadlines without sacrificing quality, maintain good client relationships and deliver extraordinary results
• Agency experience and an understanding of agency financials and experience budgeting projects is considered an asset
• Demonstrated ability to analyze complex political and policy issues across a broad range of public policy areas, such as agriculture and food, environment & sustainability, finance, technology, and health
• Extensive knowledge of political, legislative and regulatory processes, as well as government policies and procedures
• Extensive experience in using targeted media for advocacy and outreach purposes
• Entrepreneurial attitude with a knack for building trusted relationships with clients and prospects that lead to additional, incremental new business opportunities
• Ability to engage with and counsel senior level decision-makers across the client’s business, and deliver connective insights to assist clients in driving alignment and execution of cross-company initiatives
• Previous experience managing people is considered an asset
• High degree of judgment, discretion, tact, and insight
** Candidates must be legally authorized to work in Canada indefinitely. This is a hybrid role.
To apply for this opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
FHR is an equal opportunity employer and is working to become the most inclusive global agency. We are passionate about building and sustaining a working environment that is focused on diversity and wellbeing. We encourage applications from equity-deserving groups.
We support persons with disabilities with accommodation during our recruitment and selection process. Individual accommodation will be provided to candidates who are selected for assessment.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.